Re: pg_dump incorrect output in plaintext mode

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump incorrect output in plaintext mode
Date: 2012-08-28 19:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> but in plaintext:
>> $ pg_dump -v postgres -Fp -t t > /dev/null
>> pg_dump: creating TABLE t
>> pg_dump: restoring data for table "t"
>> pg_dump: dumping contents of table t
>> pg_dump: setting owner and privileges for TABLE t
>> pg_dump: setting owner and privileges for TABLE DATA t
>
> I don't see anything particularly incorrect about that. The point of
> the --verbose switch is to track what pg_dump is doing, and if what
> it's doing involves going through RestoreArchive(), why should we try
> to hide the fact?

"restoring data for table 't'" makes you think it's actuall restoring
things. It's not. That dumping is implemented by calling an internal
function called RestoreArchive() has to be an implementation detail...
It certainly confuses users that we say "restoring" when we're not
doing that...

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/