Re: Make pg_basebackup -x stream the default

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vladimir Rusinov <vrusinov(at)google(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make pg_basebackup -x stream the default
Date: 2016-12-31 12:14:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 7:51 PM, Vladimir Rusinov <vrusinov(at)google(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Attached is an updated patch that does this. As a bonus it simplifies
> the
> >> code a bit. I also fixed an error message that I missed updating in the
> >> previous patch.
> >

> > looks good to me.
>
> Yep, basically looks good to me. Here are some small comments.
>
> > while ((c = getopt_long(argc, argv, "D:F:r:RT:xX:l:nNzZ:d:c:h:p:U:
> s:S:wWvP",
> > long_options, &option_index)) != -1)
>
> 'x' should be removed from the above code.

Could've sworn I did that, but clearly not. Thanks.

> > To create a backup of a single-tablespace local database and compress
> this with bzip2:
> >
> > $ pg_basebackup -D - -Ft | bzip2 > backup.tar.bz2
>
> The above example in the docs needs to be modified. For example,
> add "-X fetch" into the above command so that pg_basebackup
> should not exit with an error.

Ah yes, good point as well.

> > The server must also be configured with max_wal_senders set high
> > enough to leave at least one session available for the backup.
>
> I think that it's better to explain explicitly here that max_wal_senders
> should be higher than one by default.

Added:
The server must also be configured
with <xref linkend="guc-max-wal-senders"> set high enough to leave at
least
one session available for the backup and one for WAL streaming (if used).

Will post new patch shortly, once I've addressed Michaels comments as well.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/