Re: BUG #6264: Superuser does not have inherent Replication permission

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6264: Superuser does not have inherent Replication permission
Date: 2011-10-25 12:39:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 16:37, Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> "Keith Fiske" <keith(at)omniti(dot)com> writes:
>
>>> If you create a user as a NONsuperuser,
>>> then later ALTER them to be one, they will NOT have the replication
>>> permission and cannot be used as a replication user until you explicitly
>>> grant that permission.
>>
>> That doesn't sound to me like a bug.  These flags are independent, we
>> just provide a certain default at role creation time.
>>

> That is not what the documentation as read would lead people to
> believe. I'd be more than happy to help with clarifying the
> documentation myself if needed. Just let me know how.

This part I agree with - it makes sense for ALTER to set both flags
when it enables superuser. It seems inconsistent now - even if it may
be technically correct.

If we don't change it, we should definitely accept a docs patch to
clarify what happens, because I agree it's confusing.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/