Re: pg_verify_checksums and -fno-strict-aliasing

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_verify_checksums and -fno-strict-aliasing
Date: 2018-08-30 20:07:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 09:35:33PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Should we make it a separate test in pg_verify_checksums, or should we
> > piggyback on the pg_basebackup tests (which AFAICT is the only ones that
> > create a cluster with checksums enabled at all, and thus is the only
> > codepath that actually uses the backend checksum code at all, which I
> think
> > is an even worse thing to have no tests of)
>
> This should be a separate suite. And FWIW, we only use pg_regress to
> make sure that an already-initialized data folder has the correct,
> secure authentication set. So creating a node with checksums enabled is
> just that:
> $node->init(extra => ['--data-checksums']);
>
> [... 20 minutes later ...]
> Attached is a basic test suite ;)

Haha, nice timing :)

I wonder if your tests that pg_control has picked things up belong more in
the tests of initdb itself?

Do you think there is value in testing against a non-checksum cluster? I
guess there's some point to it. I think testing actual corruption (like my
version of the tests) is more valuable, but perhaps we should just do both?

--
Magnus Hagander