Re: No hits when search devel documentation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No hits when search devel documentation
Date: 2017-03-23 16:19:01
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This is my first message to -www.
> >>
> >> When I try to search using the "Search Documentation" form on the
> >> website, I get no hits from
> >> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/
> >>
> >> The same is not true for, say https://www.postgresql.org/
> docs/9.6/static/
> >>
> >> Is that intentional (keeping devel stuff off of searched documents, that
> >> is)?
> >

> > That looks like an unintentional side-effect of
> > https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=commit;h=
> 4920f460aab95063cdbf26d96e23a7a24a5e5e36
> >
> > Today, the indexing for the main website is driven off the same
> sitemap.xml
> > that we feed Google. And we did at some point in the past (quite long
> ago)
> > decide we didn't want /devel/ to be included in the Google search hits.
>
> I see, thanks for explaining.
>
> > We probably want to include them in our own, at least when you are
> > explicitly searching in that subsection. That will require some code
> changes
> > to make it happy with that though - we'd have to send out a separate
> > sitemap.xml to our own search engine.
>
> It's just that I was used to getting hits from devel using the site's
> search form that suddenly stopped, but I see why now. Might be better
> to fix that if was unintentional anyway.
>
> > Or is there a change in the consensus that we should not have Google
> return
> > search hits of that?
>
> It might be ok to have Google return pages from current or older.

Better very late than very never, I hope, we now have working search of the
developer docs again. They are still not included in the "global search",
but if you initiate the search from within the devel docs (and get that in
the url), it should now work.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/