Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc comments on unsupported versions
Date: 2018-05-03 19:37:03
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Thu, May 3, 2018 at 8:11 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > That I agree with, if that's the reason. But there's plenty that have
> been
> > more or less content-less that have been approved, and I don't think
> those
> > should've been.
> >
> > I mean:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/152273272513.1433.
> 16677492851065826081%40wrigleys.postgresql.org
> > or even:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/152524500200.31689.
> 10330412450106010735%40wrigleys.postgresql.org
>
> Hmm, agreed. I don't know if it was I that approved these (very likely
> the second one), but I'll be more careful and reject bad posts more
> aggressively too, which will probably help.

FWIW, and if that wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to "point fingers". I don't
care who approved them (I don't *think* it was me, but sometimes things go
a bit too quickly -- as we know from esperience with me and others
accidentally moderating the Spanish list once). But it would be good if all
moderators are a bit more careful about it.

> > > When visiting a Facebook page (without logged in to an account), it
> > > keeps pestering you to open your own account. I'm fortunate I don't
> > > visit pages often, because it's *really* annoying. Something similar
> > > could be applied here, perhaps ... I hope facebook doesn't have a
> > > patent on obnoxious layers obscuring the bottom half of the page when
> > > not logged in.
> >
> > Those pages also completely don't work at all without javascript. I
> > definitely don't want to go *there*.
>
> Well, it's probably easy to work out a mechanism by which the page
> behaves normally when javascript is disabled, and shows the annoying
> popup if javascript is enabled. Anyway, this is probably moot if
> comments are disabled for old versions.

Yeah, this has been done already.

--
Magnus Hagander