file_fdw vs relative paths

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: file_fdw vs relative paths
Date: 2020-07-15 11:22:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

According to the documentation, the filename given in file_fdw must be an
absolute path. Hwever, it works perfectly fine with a relative path.

So either the documentation is wrong, or the code is wrong. It behaves the
same at least back to 9.5, I did not try it further back than that.

I can't find a reference to the code that limits this. AFAICT the
documentation has been there since day 1.

Question is, which one is right. Is there a reason we'd want to restrict it
to absolute pathnames?

--
Magnus Hagander