Re: Installation instructions vs binaries

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation instructions vs binaries
Date: 2020-10-06 12:21:05
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> > On 15 Sep 2020, at 02:43, David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:05 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net
> <mailto:magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>> wrote:
>
> > That leaves just the part of adding the actual new chapter of my patch.
> PFA. Thoughts on that?
>
> +1 on this version of the patch.
>
> It seems a bit odd to me to capitalize Download, but since it's the name
> of the
> referenced section I guess it's ok. Personally I'd have lowercased it.
> + the Download section on the <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>
> website at

Yeah, that was based on the fact that it's like that on the website. But I
agree, it's a bit weird. I'll go change it.

Thanks to you both, pushed!

> > I kinda want to be blunt, though, and point out that if the user is
> using a pre-packaged version that the packager, and not the core team,
> accepts responsibility for problem reports related to installation, on
> their support channel. Please don't use pg-bugs.
>
> I don't think it's reasonable to expect users to be able to separate bugs
> caused by the installer and supporting scripts/wrappers, and those by for
> example initdb. AFAICR it's mostly the Windows installer which we get
> reports
> for on -bugs, and the devs responsible for said installer have been quite
> quick
> at responding so I don't really see a problem.

In some cases they probably can, but not in all cases. We do have people
reporting debian isssues directly to debian and redhat issues directly to
either redhat or our rpm packagers. Just not always.

We need a better workflow for reporting that, but this should really be
coded into the website (I have a draft patch somewhere that I never
finished), and not in the documentation. Because just saying "go somewhere
else" doesn't help anybody, unless we can also tell them where this
"somewhere else" is.

> We provide links on our website as a convenience, not as endorsement.
>
> Do we? For the software catalogue we explicitly say that we don't endorse
> any
> software linked to but we don't do that anywhere on the PostgreSQL
> downloads
> section. Since these links are very much curated, I would think it
> reasonable
> for users to think of them as endorsed by PGDG.

The things we have listed in the main download section on our website is
definitely being endorsed by the project. And as you say, the product
catalogue is different.

--
Magnus Hagander