Re: Compile Source Code

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Jiby James <jamesjiby(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compile Source Code
Date: 2012-06-28 10:50:45
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> [Please keep the mailing list CC'd]
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Jiby James <jamesjiby(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I am working on a Debian 32bit squeeze version. I want to connect to a
>> postgresql server
>>                                                                     by using
>> pgadmin. But the version of pgadmin that come up with debian is
>> not compatible to connect to the version of pstgresql installed on my
>> server.
>>
>> So i downloaded source code of  latest version pgadmin3-1.14.3.tar.gz. All
>> the necessary dependencies are also installed.
>>
>> When i compile the file using ./configure, it says
>>
>> configure: error: Could not find your PostgreSQL installation. You might
>> need to use the --with-pgsql=DIR configure option
>>
>> How can i specify remote server name in --with-pgsql option
>
> You cannot use a remote server when compiling. That option is used to
> specify where to find libpq and the headers I mentioned earlier are,
> if they cannot be found in a number of "usual" places.
>
> For example, if you build and install PostgreSQL with something like:
> "./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres-9.1", then you would need to tell
> pgAdmin the same path, eg. "./configure
> --with-pgsql=/opt/postgres-9.1".
>
> Another cause of this issue is that you have PostgreSQL installed in
> one of the default locations, but the headers for libpq are not
> installed. Make sure you have the -devel or -dev packages installed as
> well in that case (on Debian, I believe you need the libpq-dev
> package).

The easiest thing on debian is to run "apt-get build-dep pgadmin3".
That will install *all* the required -devel packages, includein gother
things like wxwidgets that are also required.

And FWIW, if you just want the latest pgadmin, and don't actually
*want* to hack it, check out backports.debian.org. It comes with
pgadmin3 1.14 for Squeeze, pre-built and ready to use.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/