Re: Basebackups reported as idle

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Basebackups reported as idle
Date: 2017-12-20 12:02:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > What about the attached?
>
> The new positions look good to me, still aren't you missing the case
> where a SQL command is found and exec_replication_command returns
> false? This should be switched to idle as well.

Yes. Of course. I can't read. That's the same as the notice below about it
not returning false -- I managed to miss the extra if() there, and thought
it always exited with ERROR.

:O

> + /* Report to pgstat that this process is running */
> + pgstat_report_activity(STATE_RUNNING, NULL);
> Bonus points if cmd_string is used instead of string? This way, you
> can know what is the replication command running ;)

Do we want that though? That would be a compat break at least, wouldn't it?

> It's still quite a bit weird that we call this process "walsender" when it
> > does other things as well. But the ship sailed on that many years ago,
> > changing that completely now would not be worth the breakage.
>
> ps shows walsender as well, that's a reason why "walsender" has been
> decided.

Right. It's just a weird term for what it is. But it's the term that we've
always used, so we can't go change it now.

--
Magnus Hagander