posix_fadvsise in base backups

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: posix_fadvsise in base backups
Date: 2011-09-24 15:08:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached patch adds a simple call to posix_fadvise with
POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED on all the files being read when doing a base
backup, to help the kernel not to trash the filesystem cache.

Seems like a simple enough fix - in fact, I don't remember why I took
it out of the original patch :O

Any reason not to put this in? Is it even safe enough to put into 9.1
(probably not, but maybe?)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size
base_backup_fadvise.patch text/x-patch 682 bytes