Re: Review: Display number of changed rows since last analyze

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review: Display number of changed rows since last analyze
Date: 2013-07-01 11:43:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> wrote:
> This is a review of the patch in 5192D7D2(dot)8020605(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz
>
> The patch applies cleanly (with the exception of catversion.h of course),
> compiles without warnings and passes the regression tests.
>
> It contains enough documentation, though I'd prefer
> "Estimated number of rows modified since the table was last analyzed"
> "Estimated number of row changes (inserts + updates + deletes) since the last analyze"
>
> The patch works as it should, and I think that this is a
> useful addition. It only exposes a value that is already
> available internally, so there shouldn't be any penalties.
>
> I think that the column name is ok as it is, even if it
> is a bit long - I cannot come up with a more succinct
> idea. Perhaps "n_changed_since_analyze" could be shortened
> to "n_mod_since_analyze", but that's not much of an improvement.

AFAICT it's related to "n_live_tup", and "n_dead_tup". How about just
"n_mod_tup"? Though that doesn't convey that it's since the last
analyze, I guess.

But given that both n_dead_tup and n_live_tup don't really indicate
that they're not "since the beginning of stats" in the name (which
other stats counters are), I'm not sure that's a problem? It would be
a name that sounds more similar to the rest of the table.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/