Re: Online checksums patch - once again

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online checksums patch - once again
Date: 2020-11-15 15:51:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 12:22 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:

> On 12/11/2020 15:17, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> >> On 5 Oct 2020, at 14:14, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> >> I would expect the checksums worker to be automatically started at
> postmaster startup. Can we make that happen?
> >
> > A dynamic background worker has to be registered from a regular backend,
> so
> > it's not entirely clear to me where in startup processing that would take
> > place. Do you have any good suggestions?
>
> Could you launch it from the startup process, in StartupXLOG()?
> Does it have to be dynamic?

If it's not dynamic, you can't start it from a regular backend can you? So
then you'd need a restart for it to happen?

As for launching it from the startup process I don't know, that might be a
viable path. The code specifically explains why it's not possible to launch
it from the postmaster, but I don't see anything that would make it
impossible from the startup process.

--
Magnus Hagander