Re: Documentation: references to old versions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation: references to old versions
Date: 2013-02-12 15:26:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>> The phrasing "as of 8.2" basically means "from 8.2 onwards". Changing the
>>> version there would make the text incorrect.
>
>> In theory we could remove that reference completely since any versions
>> where it does not apply are out of support since years ago at this
>> point. But I don't see a point in doing that just for the sake of
>> removing - but if a section is reworded in general that contains such
>> references, it could be dropped.
>
> The fact that pre-8.2 is out of support doesn't make this useless
> information: many such installations are still out there in the wild,
> and people may want to know what techniques will work with them.
> I'd be inclined to leave the text as-is until it's been awhile since
> we've heard of anyone using pre-8.2.

If you are using an earlier version, you should really be reading the
documentation that corresponds to the version that you are using.

That said, this general reason is why I say we shouldn't go remove it
intentionally. I'm just saying it's acceptable "collateral damage" if
it gets removed along with another patch, and that we shouldn't put
special efforts into maintaining it.

I'd rather see that special effort go into encouraging people to read
the version of the documentation that matches their version of
PostgreSQL...

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/