Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Date: 2020-07-14 12:25:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 1:52 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 4:59 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
> > The countersable of this is pg_resetwal. The number of people who have
> broken their database with that tool is not small.
>
> Very true.
>
> > That said, we could have a separate "class" of extensions/tools in the
> distribution, and encourage packagers to pack them up as separate packages
> for example. Technically they don't have to be in the same source
> repository at all of course, but I have a feeling some of them might be a
> lot easier to maintain if they are. And then the user would just have to
> install something like "postgresql-14-wizardtools". They'd still be
> available to everybody, of course, but at least the knives would be in a
> closed drawer until intentionally picked up.
>
> I don't think that does much to help with the immediate problem here,
> because people are being bitten by this problem *now* and a packaging
> change like this will take a long time to happen and become standard
> out there, but I think it's a good idea.

I don't think that it necessarily has to be. As long as we're talking about
adding something and not actually changing their existing packages, getting
this into both yum and apt shouldn't be *that* hard, if it's coordinated
well with Christoph and Devrim (obviously that's based on my experience and
they will have to give a more complete answer themselves). It would be a
lot more complicated if it involved changing an existing package.

--
Magnus Hagander