Re: Passing connection string to pg_basebackup

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Hari Babu <haribabu(dot)kommi(at)huawei(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Passing connection string to pg_basebackup
Date: 2013-01-19 12:20:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
>> You could still use environment variables and a service file to do it, but
>> it's certainly more cumbersome. It clearly should be possible to pass a full
>> connection string to pg_basebackup, that's an obvious oversight.
>
> FWIW, +1. I would consider it a bugfix (backpatch, etc).

While it's a feature I'd very much like to see, I really don't think
you can consider it a bugfix. It's functionality that was left out -
it's not like we tried to implement it and it didn't work. We pushed
the whole implementation to "next version" (and then forgot about
actually putting it in the next version, until now)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/