Re: Cause of recent buildfarm failures on hamerkop

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, harukat(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Cause of recent buildfarm failures on hamerkop
Date: 2012-09-14 08:56:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I looked into why buildfarm member hamerkop has been failing regression
> tests for the last two months. The symptoms appear consistent with the
> theory that the src/test/regress/data/tenk.data test file has been
> converted to have DOS style line endings (\r\n). The test cases that
> are failing involve reading data that should start 2030 bytes into that
> file, but if you assume that the preceding \n line endings actually take
> two bytes each, the data would be offset to match what we see in the
> actual results. Also, the data load test that is the primary use of
> that file wouldn't complain, because COPY is built to allow either \n or
> \r\n line endings.
>
> I assume this means that the git checkout was created with options that
> allowed conversion of text files to \r\n line endings.
>
> I'm not sure if we should just write this off as pilot error, or if we
> should try to make the regression tests proof against such things. If
> the latter, how exactly?

I don't think we need to make them proof against it. But it wouldn't
hurt to have a check that threw a predictable error when it happens.
E.g. a first step in the regression tests that just verifies what kind
of line endings are in a file. Could maybe be as simple as checking
the size of the file?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/