Re: initdb recommendations

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb recommendations
Date: 2019-04-06 09:35:44
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 10:58 PM Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2019-04-05 18:11, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > (There could be an additional discussion about whether or not we want to
> > change the default behavior for initdb, but I would suggest that a safe
> > starting point would be to ensure we call this out)
>
> I think we should just change the defaults. There is a risk of warning
> fatigue. initdb does warn about this, so anyone who cared could have
> gotten the information.

I've been suggesting that for years, so definite strong +1 for doing that.

If it's something that annoys backend developers who initdb very often, I
suggest we add an environment variable to override it. But I'm not sure
that's really necessary -- creating a shell alias or similar is easy to do,
and most have probably already done so for other reasons.

That said, I think it would make sense to *also* have a warning. And in
particular, we should strongly consider backpatching a warning.

--
Magnus Hagander