Re: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Al-Salami, Adel" <saa(at)klinkhammer(dot)com>, "pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe
Date: 2011-09-08 21:04:28
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 19:55, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Al-Salami, Adel <saa(at)klinkhammer(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> We are working only on base of microsoft OS, and am thinking of installing
>> Postgres 9 on a 2 node microsoft cluster as a failsafe solution.
>>
>> Can I do that, using a builtin feature of Postgres, or is there an extra
>> software I can use?
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 or higher is all you for a 2 node cluster.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.1 is available next week and you should start with that.

PostgreSQL has worked fine with the 2 node MS failover cluster since
the first native version on Windows, which was 8.0. You need no extra
software, and yo udon't need PostgreSQL 9.0 for it.

I share Simons recommentation that you *should* use PostgreSQL 9.0 or
9.1 though ;) And it also gives you other ways to build the
availability solution than the MS cluster one.

> Good luck and welcome to Postgres.

+1 :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander