Re: allow specifying direct role membership in pg_hba.conf

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow specifying direct role membership in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2021-05-17 20:15:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 8:58 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * Chapman Flack (chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net) wrote:
> > If pg_hba syntax changes are being entertained, I would love to be able
> > to set ssl_min_protocol_version locally in a hostssl rule.
> >
> > Some clients at $work are stuck with ancient SSL libraries, but I would
> > much rather be able to weaken ssl_min_protocol_version just for them
> > than do it globally.
>
> This (unlike what was actually proposed) does seem like it'd be a useful
> improvement. Not sure exaclty how it would work but I'm generally on
> board with the idea.

I agree, but I have no idea how you could do that within the current
pg_hba.conf.

The row is selected by the combination of username/database/ipaddress.
But you have to pick the minimum TLS version before the client has
sent that... Basically we have to make the choice long before we've
even started looking at pg_hba.

It would be good to have a way to do it, but I'm not sure pg_hba.conf
is the place for it.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: https://www.hagander.net/