Re: allow specifying direct role membership in pg_hba.conf

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: allow specifying direct role membership in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2021-05-17 20:31:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/17/21 16:15, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> The row is selected by the combination of username/database/ipaddress.
> But you have to pick the minimum TLS version before the client has
> sent that... Basically we have to make the choice long before we've
> even started looking at pg_hba.

Use the peer IP address to pre-filter the available pg_hba entries to
those pertaining to that address ... choose a min protocol version that's
the min specified among those ... then get the username and database name
(by which point a protocol has been negotiated), then further filter the
list down to those pertaining to that user and database and allowing that
protocol version?

Yes, clunky, but avoids a more ambitious redesign of pg_hba.

I'm not sure a more ambitious redesign would be a bad thing in principle;
the pg_hba.conf syntax seems rather clunky and limiting to begin with,
and I keep wondering why it isn't in shared tables or something. But
I suppose a lot of external admin tools have some knowledge of it?

Regards,
-Chap