Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Prabakaran, Vaishnavi" <vaishnavip(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date: 2014-03-14 10:32:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Prabakaran, Vaishnavi <
vaishnavip(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> In connection to my previous proposal about "providing catalog view to
> pg_hba.conf file contents" , I have developed the attached patch .
>

> [Current situation]
>
> Currently, to view the pg_hba.conf file contents, DB admin has to access
> the file from database server to read the settings. In case of huge and
> multiple hba files, finding the appropriate hba rules which are loaded will
> be difficult and take some time.
>

> [What this Patch does]
>
> Functionality of the attached patch is that it will provide a new view
> "pg_hba_settings" to admin users. Public access to the view is restricted.
> This view will display basic information about HBA setting details of
> postgresql cluster. Information to be shown , is taken from parsed hba
> lines and not directly read from pg_hba.conf files. Documentation files are
> also updated to include details of this new view under "Chapter 47.System
> Catalogs". Also , a new note is added in "chapter 19.1 The pg_hba.conf File"
>

> [Advantage]
>
> Advantage of having this "pg_hba_settings" view is that the admin can
> check, what hba rules are loaded in runtime via database connection itself.
> And, thereby it will be easy and useful for admin to check all the users
> with their privileges in a single view to manage them.

This looks like a useful feature, so make sure you register it on
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=22.

I haven't looked at the actual code yet, btu I did notice one thing at a
very quick lookover at the docs - it seems to be completely ignoring the
key/value parameters given on a row, and stops reporting after the auth
method? That seems bad. And also, probably host/mask should be using the
inet style datatypes and not text?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/