Re: Parallell hashjoin sometimes ignores temp_tablespaces

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallell hashjoin sometimes ignores temp_tablespaces
Date: 2020-07-03 16:17:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 6:12 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > A quick look -- to do things right, we will need to know the database
> > default tablespace in this case right? Which I guess isn't there because
> > the shared fileset isn't tied to a database. But perhaps it's as easy as
> > something like the attached, just overwriting the oid?
>
> Yeah, we just have to pick an appropriate place for making the
> substitution. I have no objection to doing it in SharedFileSetInit, as
> long as we're sure it will only be consulted for placing temp files and
> not relations.

It doesn't *now*, and I'm pretty sure it can't be in the future the way it
is now (a parallel worker can't be creating relations). But it is probably
a good idea to add a comment indicating this as well...

> The lack of documentation seems to be my fault, so I'm willing to pick
> this up unless somebody else wants it.

If the comments I included in that patch are enough, I can just commit
those along with it. Otherwise, please do :)

--
Magnus Hagander