Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
Cc: Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-10-17 21:01:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 10:43 PM Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 18:53, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Git push does have an --atomic flag to treat the entire push as a single operation.
>
> I decided to play around a bit with server hooks. Attached is a git
> "update" hook that rejects pushes to the master branch when the new
> HEAD of master does not pass pgindent. It tries to do the minimal
> amount of work necessary. Together with the --atomic flag of git push
> I think this would work quite well.
>
> Note: It does require that pg_bsd_indent is in PATH. While not perfect
> seems like it would be acceptable in practice to me. Its version is
> not updated very frequently. So manually updating it on the git server
> when we do does not seem like a huge issue to me.

If it doesn't know how to rebuild it, aren't we going to be stuck in a
catch-22 if we need to change it in certain ways? Since an old version
of pg_bsd_indent would reject the patch that might include updating
it. (And when it does, one should expect the push to take quite a long
time, but given the infrequency I agree that part is probably not an
issue)

And unless we're only enforcing it on master, we'd also need to make
provisions for different versions of it on different branches, I
think?

Other than that, I agree it's fairly simple. It does nede a lot more
sandboxing than what's in there now, but that's not too hard of a
problem to solve, *if* this is what we want.

(And of course needs to be integrated with the existing script since
AFAIK you can't chain git hooks unless you do it manually - but that's
mostliy mechanical)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: https://www.hagander.net/