Re: Two small patches for the News section of the website

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two small patches for the News section of the website
Date: 2021-01-04 13:46:40
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 9:59 PM Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de> wrote:

> On 28/12/2020 17:31, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > the attached patches propose the following changes:
> >

> > account_views.patch:
> >
> > This modifies the https://www.postgresql.org/account/ website, and
> > shows "Items not submitted yet" and "Items waiting for moderator
> > approval" only when there is actual content. Empty boxes are not shown.
> >

> > objectlist.patch:
> >
> > This updates https://www.postgresql.org/account/edit/news/ , fixes a
> > missing </p>, and separates the "Submit for moderation" link from the
> > item link to make it clear that these are two different things.
> > It also updates the description above the items, and adds a note that
> > items must be submitted, if there are items.
> >

> > Both patches are untested, as I couldn't get the pgweb working locally.
>
> Magnus pointed out that there is a syntax problem with one of the patches.
> New version attached.

I've applied an adapted version of the first one of these:
* Fixed indentation. Please run the "pep8" command on the python code
as part of your tests-before-submission. We need to document this
somewhere, or direct people towards maknig PRs (currently turned off)
which will validate it for them :)
* Fixed incorrect removal of the dict passed to render -- you can't
pass an array there, it still has to be the dict with a key.
* The canonical way to check if an array is empty is not "if
len(array)>0" in python, it's just "if array:". No need to compute the
whole length just to know if it's empty.
* I renamed the arrays to have plural names. It's really confusing to
have singular names for something that contains multiple objects.

And after second found:
* The whole code becomes easier if we just leave the list of waiting
and created in arrays, rather than break them out into separate
variables and later put them back into another array

Ḯ've attached a v3 of the patch with "-w" just to show how little
change was actually needed after doing that :) (it could be done fully
inline as well, but keeping it as a separate variable is probably a
bit more future proof)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: https://www.hagander.net/