Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date: 2013-01-21 07:17:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 21, 2013 3:06 AM, "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 01/21/2013 10:03 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > On 01/19/2013 04:08 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> >> However, I am not sure whether Cygwin provides the mkstemp() call or
not.
> >> Searching... Found bugzilla reports against mkstemp on Cygwin.
> > Is Cygwin a platform that should be targeted for the server backend
> > these days?
> >
> > I can understand making sure that libpq works on Cygwin, but is there
> > any reason at all to run a Pg server backend on Cygwin rather than as
> > native Windows binaries?
>
> I'm not suggesting immediately dropping working support, since this is
> so trivially worked around. I'm just wondering why anybody cares about
> the platform.

I have suggested similar before, and been voted down :) iirc Andrew uses
it, no? Either way, the consensus earlier had been that as long as it
doesn't require major surgery or blocks something else, we should try to
keep it working. And as you say this sounds like something that can be
handled trivially, I think now is not the time.

/Magnus