Re: error message when subscription target is a partitioned table

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2018-12-04 08:25:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 3:38 AM Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
wrote:

> On 2018/12/04 11:23, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 10:51:40AM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> >> Okay, here is a patch. I didn't find any tests in subscription.sql
> >> related to unsupported relkinds, so didn't bother adding one for this
> case
> >> either.
> >
> > Should we care about other relkinds as well?
>
> Maybe, foreign tables? I'd think that code wouldn't care about explictly
> handling indexes, view, sequences, toast tables, etc.

I think more people would directly understand the "is not a table" for a
foreign table than a partitioned one (for example, it does now show up in
\dt or under tables in pgadmin, but partitioned ones do). That said, if
it's not too complicated, I think including foreign tables as well would
definitely be useful, because it has table in the name. For the other
types, I agree they don't need to be special-cased, they are fine the way
they are.

--
Magnus Hagander