Re: Add header support to text format and matching feature

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Rémi Lapeyre <remi(dot)lapeyre(at)lenstra(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add header support to text format and matching feature
Date: 2020-07-17 15:27:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 5:11 PM Rémi Lapeyre <remi(dot)lapeyre(at)lenstra(dot)fr>
wrote:

> > It's hard to find an explanation what this patch actually does. I don't
> > want to have to go through threads dating back 4 months to determine
> > what was discussed and what was actually implemented. Since you're
> > already using git format-patch, just add something to the commit message.
> >

> > It appears that these are really two separate features, so perhaps they
> > should be two patches.
>
> Thanks for the feedback, I've split cleanly the two patches, simplified the
> tests and tried to explain the changes in the commit message.
>
> > Also, the new header matching mode could probably use more than one line
> > of documentation.
>
> I've improved the documentation, let's me know if it's better.
>
> It seems like cfbot is not happy with the way I'm sending my patches. The
> wiki
> has some good advices on how to write a patch but I couldn't find anything
> on
> how to send it. I've used

> git send-email -v3 --compose --to=... --in-reply-to=... HEAD^^
>
> here but I'm not sure if it's correct. I will see if it works and will try
> to fix
> it if it's not but since it runs once a day it may take some time.

If you have two patches that depend on each other, you should send them as
two attachment to the same email. You now sent them as two separate emails,
and cfbot will then pick up the latest one of them which is only patch 0002
(at least I'm fairly sure that's how it works).

I don't know how to do that with git-send-email, but you can certainly do
it easy with git-format-patch and just attach them using your regular MUA.

(and while the cfbot and the archives have no problems dealing with the
change in subject, it does break threading in some other MUAs, so I would
recommend not doing that and sticking to the existing subject of the thread)

--
Magnus Hagander