Re: Mail thread references in commits

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Date: 2016-11-19 14:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 19, 2016 15:33, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 11/19/2016 07:36 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>
>> Magnus,
>>
>> * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:

>>> I'd rather not tie those systems in that tightly. I think they are much
>>> better off being de-coupled.
>>
>> I get that, but...
>>
>>> That said, what we could do is invent our own "id". We could either use
>>> separate surrogate key, or we could do the sha-1 hash of the messageid.
And
>>> stick that in a header, which could then be searched for both locally
and
>>> remotely.
>>
>> Yeah, that's a good thought too. I think we'd need to use a SHA1 to
>> avoid collisions which means that it'll be a bit longer than if we used
>> an actual ID, but it shouldn't be *too* long.
>>

> I can think of at least one scenario where you might not easily have
access to any invented ID - you're the author and you have mailing list
me-too turned off, so you don't have anything that the mailing list has
inserted. I honestly think we should just stick with the Message-ID value
and get over the ugliness.

> Putting the clickable URL in a header("X-Archive-Link" ?) is a good idea,
though. Using my MUA (Thunderbird) that would make it as simple to get as
easy. I bet others might appreciate it too.

As a thunderbird user you might be interested in something like
https://github.com/mhagander/pgarchives. I don't know if it works with
modern versions of thunderbird, but hopefully it does. And would be more
convenient than the view source way..

/Magnus