Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm
Date: 2020-06-11 16:48:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 6:32 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Andrew Dunstan <
> > andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >> Yeah, we'll need to work out where to stash the file. The client will
> >> pick up anything in src/regress/log for "make check", but would need
> >> adjusting for other steps that invoke pg_regress. I'm getting close to
> >> cutting a new client release, but I can delay it till we settle this.
>
> > It seems pretty trivial to for example get all the steps out of check.log
> > and their timing with a regexp.
>
> Yeah, I don't see why we can't scrape this data from the existing
> buildfarm output, at least for the core regression tests. New
> infrastructure could make it easier/cheaper, but I don't think we
> should invest in that until we've got a provably useful tool.

So spending a few minutes to look at my data, it is not quite that easy if
we want to look at contrib checks for example. Both btree_gin and
btree_gist have checks called "int4" for example, and the aforementioned
regexp won't pick that up. But that's surely a fixable problem.

And perhaps we should at least start off data for just "make check" to see
if it's useful, before spending too much work?

--
Magnus Hagander