Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: SCRAM with channel binding downgrade attack
Date: 2018-06-11 14:54:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 4:49 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 6/6/18 18:04, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 11:53:06PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >> That would certainly be good. We've always had that problem, even with
> md5
> >> -> plaintext password downgrade, and it would be nice to fix it. It's
> quite
> >> late in the release cycle already, do you think we should address that
> now?
> >> I could go either way..
> >
> > I would be inclined to treat that as new development as this is no new
> > problem.
>
> I agree.

Agreed as well.

I'm wondering if that means we should then also not do it specifically for
scram in this version. Otherwise we're likely to end up with a parameter
that only has a "lifetime" of one version, and that seems like a bad idea.
If nothing else we should clearly think out what the path is to make sure
that doesn't happen. (e.g. we don't want a
scram_channel_binding_mode=require in this version, if the next one is
going to replace it with something like heikkis suggested
allowed_authentication_methods=SCRAM-SHA-256-PLUS or whatever we end up
coming up with there).

--
Magnus Hagander