Re: PG backup check

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Ravi Krishna <sravikrishna3(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG backup check
Date: 2018-07-17 09:25:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
wrote:

>> Not sure I am following this. Did Google release this because PG backups
>> are not 100% reliable or the data corruption can occur due to hardware
>> failure.
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/cloud/google-releases-open-source-tool-
>> that-checks-postgres-backup-integrity?utm_medium=email&
>> utm_campaign=EWK_NL_EP_20180713_STR5L2&dni=450493554&rni=24844166
>>

> From what I understand with this Google tool, it has nothing to do with
> backups. It just allows you to check data blocks in a PostgreSQL cluster.
> Google advice is to run it before taking a backup, but that's about it.

This appears to basically be the same tool that's already included in
PostgreSQL 11, and has been around in a few different incarnations (but
unpolished) for years.

FWIW, in relation to backups, tools like pgbackrest already did this
transparently during backup, and again PostgreSQL 11 will do it built-in.

It's quite possible Google was running this internally before of course,
and a separate tool from others, but it's not exactly news... But they do
outline a very definite problem, which is that if you get physical
corruption in your database, it gets included in the backups. And if it's
in a portion of the database you don't use a lot, checksum failures won't
be noticed until you actually try, which is way too late.

--
Magnus Hagander