Re: Are ZFS snapshots unsafe when PGSQL is spreading through multiple zpools?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: HECTOR INGERTO <HECTOR_25E(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are ZFS snapshots unsafe when PGSQL is spreading through multiple zpools?
Date: 2023-01-15 19:36:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 8:18 PM HECTOR INGERTO <HECTOR_25E(at)hotmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>

> I’m using PostgreSQL on openZFS. I use ZFS snapshots as a backup +
> hotspare method.
>

> From man zfs-snapshot: “Snapshots are taken atomically, so that all
> snapshots correspond to the same moment in time.” So if a PSQL instance is
> started from a zfs snapshot, it will start to replay the WAL from the last
> checkpoint, in the same way it would do in a crash or power loss scenario. So
> from my knowledge, ZFS snapshots can be used to rollback to a previous
> point in time. Also, sending those snapshots to other computers will allow
> you to have hotspares and remote backups. If I’m wrong here, I would
> appreciate being told about it because I’m basing the whole question on
> this premise.
>

> On the other hand, we have the tablespace PGSQL feature, which is great
> because it allows “unimportant” big data to be written into cheap HDD and
> frequently used data into fast NVMe.
>

> So far, so good. The problem is when both ideas are merged. Then,
> snapshots from different pools are NOT atomical, snapshot on the HDD pool
> isn’t going to be done at the same exact time as the one on the SSD pool,
> and I don’t know enough about PGSQL internals to know how dangerous this
> is. So here is where I would like to ask for your help with the following
> questions:
>

> First of all, what kind of problem can this lead to? Are we talking about
> potential whole DB corruption or only the loss of a few of the latest
> transactions?

Silent data corruption. *not* just losing your latest transaction.

> In second place, if I’m initializing a corrupted PGSQL instance because
> ZFS snapshots are from different pools and slightly different times, am I
> going to notice it somehow or is it going to fail silently?

Silent. You might notice at the application level. Might.

> In third and last place, is there some way to quantify the amount of risk
> taken when snapshotting a PGSQL instance spread across two (or more)
> different pools?

"Don't do it".

If you can't get atomic snapshots, don't do it, period.

You can use them together with a regular online backup. That is
pg_start_backup() // <snapshot multiple volumes> // pg_stop_backup()
together with log archiving. That's a perfectly valid method. But you
cannot and should not rely on snapshots alone.

--
Magnus Hagander