Calling json_* functions with JSONB data

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Calling json_* functions with JSONB data
Date: 2016-05-23 16:55:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi there,

I noticed it was very easy to accidentally call the json_* form of JSON
manipulation functions with jsonb data as input. This is pretty
sub-optimal, since it involves rendering the jsonb then reparsing it and
calling the json_* form of the function.

Fortunately, this seems quite easy to resolve by taking advantage of our
ability to add json_*(jsonb) form of the functions.

I talked this over with Andrew who had no objections and suggested I float
it on the list before writing a patch. Looks pretty straightforward, just a
few new data rows in pg_proc.h.

Anyone have any concerns or suggestions?

-p

--
Peter van Hardenberg
San Francisco, California