Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE
Date: 2016-07-27 15:11:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 7/26/16 6:14 PM, Vik Fearing wrote:
> > As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you can just do WHERE true to get
> > around it, so why on Earth have it PGC_SUSET?
>
> I'm not sure whether it's supposed to guard against typos and possibly
> buggy SQL string concatenation in application code. So it would help
> against accidental mistakes, whereas putting a WHERE TRUE in there would
> be an intentional override.

I know I'm late to the thread here, but I just wanted to add my small voice
in support
of this feature.

Over the years we've seen this happen at Heroku quite a bit (accidental
manual entry
without a where clause) and the only minor gripe I'd have is that contrib
modules are
very undiscoverable and users tend not to find out about them.

On the other hand, a session setting in core would probably not be that
different.

I expect Heroku will probably wind up enabling this by default on any
interactive
psql sessions.

(And I would encourage packagers and distributors to consider doing the
same.)

-p