Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Mel Gorman <mgorman(at)suse(dot)de>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org" <lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date: 2014-01-19 01:37:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:
> it's very common to create temporary file data that will never, ever, ever
> actually NEED to hit disk. Where I work being able to tell the kernel to
> avoid flushing those files unless the kernel thinks it's got better things
> to do with that memory would be EXTREMELY valuable

Windows has the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY flag for this purpose.

ISTR that there was discussion about implementing something analogous
in Linux when ext4 got delayed allocation support, but I don't think
it got anywhere and I can't find the discussion now. I think the
proposed interface was to create and then unlink the file immediately,
which serves as a hint that the application doesn't care about
persistence.

Postgres is far from being the only application that wants this; many
people resort to tmpfs because of this:
https://lwn.net/Articles/499410/

Regards,
Marti