Re: get number and names of processes connected to postgresql

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: get number and names of processes connected to postgresql
Date: 2011-09-24 15:30:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 13:34, Gregg Jaskiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Basically, I got bunch of local processes connecting to postgresql,
> need to aggregate some sort of report about number of connections and
> its origin every so often.

The pg_stat_activity system view gives you the database name (datname)
and user name (usename) they're connected with. client_addr tells you
what IP address they're connecting from.

Generally you would use different usernames and databases for
different applications, so that should give you a good enough picture?
You can even run aggregate queries over this view so such a report is
just a matter of writing SQL :)

PostgreSQL 9.0 also adds a "application_name" variable that each
connection can set that's visible in pg_stat_activity.

Regards,
Marti