Caching for stable expressions with constant arguments v6

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Caching for stable expressions with constant arguments v6
Date: 2012-01-16 17:06:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi list,

Here's v6 of my expression caching patch. The only change in v6 is
added expression cost estimation in costsize.c. I'm setting per-tuple
cost of CacheExpr to 0 and moving sub-expression tuple costs into the
startup cost.

As always, this work is also available from my Github "cache" branch:
https://github.com/intgr/postgres/commits/cache

This patch was marked as "Returned with Feedback" from the 2011-11
commitfest. I expected to get to tweak the patch in response to
feedback before posting to the next commitfest. But said feedback
didn't arrive, and with me being on vacation, I missed the 2012-01 CF
deadline. :(

I will add it to the 2012-01 commitfest now, I hope that's OK. If not,
feel free to remove it and I'll put it in 2012-Next.

PS: Jaime, have you had a chance to look at the patch? Even if you're
not done with the review, I'd be glad to get some comments earlier.
And thanks for reviewing.

Regards,
Marti