Re: Name of main process differs between servers (postmaster vs postgres)

From: Jonathan Lemig <jtlemig(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Name of main process differs between servers (postmaster vs postgres)
Date: 2018-06-27 14:09:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ​Best guess, one of the servers has upgrades from previous versions
> applied to it while the other started with a newer release. The upgraded
> server didn't mess with a pre-existing launch script that was using
> postmaster while the new one made use of the likely newer script that calls
> postgres.

I bet it does have something to do with that. I had to migrate one of our
Postgres server from Fedora Core 24/Postgres 9.5 to CentOS 7/Postgres 9.6.
I'm new to Postgres and was playing around with different methods and
settled on using pglogical. I refined (that's being generous) the
migration process and migrated DEV and then PROD. Perhaps I should have had
our SA re-do the VMs after the refinements, but before doing the final
migrations, to make sure everything was apples-to-apples.

Thanks!

Jon