Re: Skip all-visible pages during second HeapScan of CIC

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skip all-visible pages during second HeapScan of CIC
Date: 2017-03-08 02:51:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>

> > I wonder however, if careful snapshot managment couldn't solve this as
> > well. I have *not* thought a lot about this, but afaics we can easily
> > prevent all-visible from being set in cases it'd bother us by having an
> > "appropriate" xmin / registered snapshot.
>
> Yeah, but that's a tax on the whole system.

May be we can do that only when patched CIC (or any other operation which
may not like concurrent VM set) is in progress. We could use what Stephen
suggested upthread to find that state. But right now it's hard to think
because there is nothing on either side so we don't know what gets impacted
by aggressive VM set and how.

Thanks,
Pavan

--