Failure in commit_ts tap tests

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Failure in commit_ts tap tests
Date: 2017-01-20 17:23:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I see a consistent failure while running "make -C
src/test/modules/commit_ts/ check" on a server compiled with
--enable-tap-tests. This is on the master branch (193a7d791)

t/004_restart.pl ....
1..16
ok 1 - getting ts of InvalidTransactionId reports error
ok 2 - expected error from InvalidTransactionId
ok 3 - getting ts of BootstrapTransactionId succeeds
ok 4 - timestamp of BootstrapTransactionId is null
ok 5 - getting ts of FrozenTransactionId succeeds
ok 6 - timestamp of FrozenTransactionId is null
ok 7 - committs for FirstNormalTransactionId is null
not ok 8 - commit timestamp recorded

Upon investigating logs, I see that perl complains about using != operator
on non-numeric argument.

Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric ne (!=) at t/004_restart.pl line 57.
Argument "Fri Jan 20 07:59:52.322811 2017 PST" isn't numeric in numeric ne
(!=) at t/004_restart.pl line 57.
not ok 8 - commit timestamp recorded

Changing the operator to "ne" works for me (patch attached). But I wonder
if this is something specific to my system? Am I using a wrong/stale
version on OSX Sierra? I'm surprised nobody reported this problem earlier.

$ perl -v

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2) built for
darwin-thread-multi-2level

Copyright 1987-2013, Larry Wall

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
commit_ts_taptest.patch application/octet-stream 590 bytes