Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date: 2017-03-30 14:04:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Pavan Deolasee
> <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I think we can fix that by comparing compressed values. I know you had
> > raised concerns, but Robert confirmed that (IIUC) it's not a problem
> today.
>
> I'm not sure that's an entirely fair interpretation of what I said.
> My point was that, while it may not be broken today, it might not be a
> good idea to rely for correctness on it always being true.

I take that point. We have a choice of fixing it today or whenever to
support multiple compression techniques. We don't even know how that will
look like and whether we will be able to look at compressed data and tell
whether two values are compressed by exact same way.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/