Re: Indirect indexes

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indirect indexes
Date: 2016-12-14 04:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Pavan Deolasee
> <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > We have a design to convert WARM chains back to HOT and that will
> increase
> > the percentage of WARM updates much beyond 50%. I was waiting for
> feedback
> > on the basic patch before putting in more efforts, but it went unnoticed
> > last CF.
>
> While you did sign up to review one patch in the last CF, the amount
> of review you did for that patch is surely an order of magnitude less
> than what WARM will require. Maybe more than that. I don't mean to
> point the finger at you specifically -- there are lots of people
> slinging patches into the CommitFest who aren't doing as much review
> as their own patches will require.

I understand the point you're trying to make and I am not complaining that
WARM did not receive a review, even though I would very much like that to
happen because I see it's a right step forward in solving some of the
problems Postgres users face. But I also understand that every committer
and developer is busy with the stuff that they see important and
interesting.

To be fair to myself, I did try to find patches with equal or more
complexity. But most of them had (multiple) reviewers assigned and were
being discussed for weeks and months. I did not think I could contribute
positively to those discussions, mostly because meaningful review at that
point would require much more in-depth knowledge of the area. So I picked
couple of patches which did not have any reviewers. May be not the best
decision, but I did what I thought was correct.

I'll try to do more review in the next CF. Obviously that does not
guarantee that WARM will see a reviewer, but hopefully I would have done my
bit.

Thanks,
Pavan

--