Re: Standby catch up state change

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standby catch up state change
Date: 2013-10-15 10:59:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>wrote:

> I don't think delaying the message is a good
> idea.

Comment in walsender.c says:

/*
* If we're in catchup state, move to streaming. This is an
* important state change for users to know about, since before
* this point data loss might occur if the primary dies and we
* need to failover to the standby.
*/

IOW it claims no data loss will occur after this point. But if the WAL is
cached on the master side, isn't this a false claim i.e. the data loss can
still occur even after master outputs the log message and changes the state
to streaming. Or am I still getting it wrong ?

Thanks,
Pavan
--
Pavan Deolasee