Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date: 2016-08-31 18:34:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As previously discussed [1], WARM is a technique to reduce write
> amplification when an indexed column of a table is updated. HOT fails to
> handle such updates and ends up inserting a new index entry in all indexes
> of the table, irrespective of whether the index key has changed or not for
> a specific index. The problem was highlighted by Uber's blog post [2], but
> it was a well known problem and affects many workloads.

I realised that the patches were bit-rotten because of 8e1e3f958fb. Rebased
patches on the current master are attached. I also took this opportunity to
correct some white space errors and improve formatting of the README.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001_track_root_lp_v3.patch application/octet-stream 25.4 KB
0002_warm_updates_v3.patch application/octet-stream 89.9 KB