building libpq.a static library

From: Jeroen Ooms <jeroen(at)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: building libpq.a static library
Date: 2017-07-12 10:31:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I maintain static libraries for libpq for the R programming language
(we need static linking to ship with the binary packages).
Unfortunately currently the standard postgres makefile only generates
a shared library for libpq, not a static one.

In order to make a static library I always manually edit
./src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile and add a target:

libpq.a: $(OBJS)
ar rcs $@ $^

And then run 'make libpq.a' in the libpq directory.

This works but it's a bit of a pain to maintain. I was wondering if
this hack could be merged so that the standard 'configure
--enable-static' script would install a static library for libpq
alongside the shared one.