Re: pg 9.1 brings host machine down

From: Konstantin Mikhailov <ekimka(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Patric Bechtel <patric(dot)bechtel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg 9.1 brings host machine down
Date: 2012-06-08 17:52:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks alot. I've tried to play with work_mem and after few days
of the production testing pg behaves much better. See no more
files in the pgsql_tmp folder. pg processes consumes reasonable
memory, no swap operation any more. I've studied official pg
docs about work_mem an still have no idea which optimal value
work_mem should have. 1MB is obviously too small. I've increased
up to 32m. due to a lot of the sorts and hash joins in the queries.