Memory-comparable Serialization of Data Types

From: Shichao Jin <jsc0218(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Memory-comparable Serialization of Data Types
Date: 2020-02-11 19:52:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Postgres Developers,

We are currently integrating LSM-tree based storage engine RocksDB into
Postgres. I am wondering is there any function that serialize data types in
memory-comparable format, similar to MySQL and MariaDB. With that kind of
function, we can directly store the serialized format in the storage engine
and compare them in the storage engine level instead of deserializing data
and comparing in the upper level. I know PostgreSQL is towards supporting
pluggble storage engine, so I think this feature would be particular useful.

Best,
Shichao