Manual Entries of commit_delay and commit_siblings are not complete.

From: Tianyin Xu <tixu(at)cs(dot)ucsd(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Manual Entries of commit_delay and commit_siblings are not complete.
Date: 2012-10-03 00:36:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi, pgsql-docs,

I was confused by the system behavior of PG's write ahead log, specifically
the relation between commit_delay, commit_siblings, and fsync.

Basically according to the manual (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/runtime-config-wal.html), I know:

"commit_delay" specifies the delay before a transaction attempts to flush
the WAL buffer out to disk.
"commit_siblings" specifies minimum number of concurrent open transactions
to require before performing the commit_delay delay.

However, after looking at the code, I figured out these configuration
parameters are also controlled by fsync.

The only usage of the two parameter I can find is:

/* src/backend/access/transam/xact.c */

static TransactionId
RecordTransactionCommit(void)
if (CommitDelay > 0 &&
enableFsync &&
MinimumActiveBackends(CommitSiblings))
pg_usleep(CommitDelay);

}

where, CommitDelay stores the parameter of "commit_delay", CommitSiblings
stores the parameter of "commit_siblings", and enableFsync stores the
parameter of "fsync".

It seems the two parameters (commit_delay and commit_siblings) only have
effect when fsync is set to be *on*.

But, unfortunately, such behavior is not covered in the manual. The mistake
I made is only set the two values but disabling fsync so the expected PG
does not behave as I expected. I think it's definitely helpful to specify
the relations between these configuration parameters either in the manual,
or in the source code by giving warnings logs.

Thanks a lot!
Tianyin

--
Tianyin XU,