Re: submake-errcodes

From: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: submake-errcodes
Date: 2018-04-12 18:22:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
>> Is it worth exploring the idea of changing to a non-recursive style of
>> makefile?
>
> Not post-feature-freeze, for sure. Whether it's worth the work as a
> long-term project, I dunno.

I've been taking a look at this in my limited free time, so I might as
well publicly register my interest here. Moving to non-recursive Make
will probably be quite a bit of work/pain, but I also think it's
probably worth it in the end.

(We make heavy use of automated builds, and having a complete
dependency graph should speed those up considerably, in addition to
the maintenance benefits already implied here.)

--Jacob